Potatoes are most popular vegetable across the world. They are rich in potassium and vitamins, good for digestion and reduces cholesterol. It also helps in treating kidney stone and nourishes the skin.This Kashmiri Dum aloo recipe uses baby potatoes in a gravy full of aromatic spices and yogurt.
¼ kg Baby potatoes (boiled in a pot)
For masala paste / gravy:
- 2 medium sized onions pureed
- 2 tomatoes pureed
- 1 tblsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 3 cloves
- 2 cardamom,
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- ½ tsp coriander seeds
- 1 + ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- ¼ cup curd / yogurt beaten
- ¾ – 1 cup water, adjust to required consistency
- salt to taste
- 4tblsp +3 tblsp Oil
- few coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Cook baby potatoes with 2 cups of water and salt until done.Pierce with a fork to check doneness.
- Allow the potatoes to cool, then peal off the skin from the potatoes.
- Poke all over the potatoes well with fork, make sure to not break them.
- Grind the fennel seeds, coriander seeds, 1 tsp cumin seeds, cardamom & cinnamon
- Add the spice powder to the boiled potatoes. Mix well
- In a large wok, add 4 tbsp of oil.
- Once the oil turns hot, add the potatoes. Cook on low to medium flame.
- Saute till they turn golden brown. approx. 3-5 minutes.
- Keep the fried potatoes aside.
- In the same wok, add 3 tblsp oil, add ½ tsp cumin seeds .
- Next add in onions and ginger-garlic paste and continue to fry till light brown.
- Add tomatoes and saute till oil seperates.
- Add remaining spices (red chilli pd,turmeric,garam masala) and sauté till all the spices are blended with the tomato onion paste.
- Add the yogurt and lower the flame. Make sure to keep stirring the masala as the yogurt tends to split. Add ¼ cup water if needed . Cook for 5-7 mins.
- Add the potatoes .
- The gravy should be thick enough to coat the potatoes.
- Add coriander for garnish.
- Serve hot with roti or naan