1.To prepare chicken stuffing for the kathi roll
500 gms Chicken breast cut in slivers
1 heaped tsp coriander powder
1 heaped tsp red chilli powder
1 heaped tsp garam masala powder
1 heaped tsp cumin powder
2 sliced onions
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tblsp ginger garlic paste
1 chopped tomato
3 tblsp cooking oil
Heat Oil . Add cumin seeds.Let it splutter. Add sliced onions.Cook till onions are translucent and change colour.
Add ginger garlic paste. Add chicken .Cook covered for 5 mins on slow heat.
Add all spices.
Cook for another 5 mins.
Add chopped tomato.
Cook covered for 5-7 mins and oil seperates.
Add salt to taste and chopped coriander leaves .
Remove from heat and keep aside.
2.Ingredients for the Roti
500 gms flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
Mix all the dry ingredients together. Knead dough with little water. Dough should be easily pliable but not hard.Keep aside covered with wet cloth till you get the chicken ready.
Method to make Roti
Heat a non stick Tava (griddle)
Make a round disc about 6 inches
Add 1/2 tsp oil to cook lightly but evenly.
Pour half a beaten egg on one side of the roti. Flip it and let the egg cook completely.Remove and keep aside.
Prepare all rotis and keep aside to assemble.
3.Accompaniments ( mix salad)
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped tomato
- 1/2 green chilli chopped fine
- handful of coriander leaves chopped fine
- 1 small onion
- handful of mint leaves
- handful of coriander leaves
- 2-3 green chillies
- 1 tsp yogurt
- 1 tsp rock salt
- 1 tsp cumin powder
4.Preparing the Kathi roll
Take one Roti
Spread the chicken mixture
Add some mix salad
Roll the roti.
Serve immediately with Mint chutney and some salad
- In case you want to make a vegetarian version of this use cottage cheese cut into 1/2 inch cubes instead of chicken.However do note that the cooking time will vary.
- If you do not have baking powder handy , you can substitute it by kneading the dough using half cup of bottled soda water instead of water.
- You may omit the egg on the Roti completely if you wish. But let me tell you the egg enhances the taste of the kathi toll .
Happy cooking 🙂