An all-time favourite Lebanese dish, Falafel can classify as a either a sumptuous snack or a meal in its own right depending on when you have it!
Falafel is traditionally a Middle Eastern food where fried Garbanzo beans (Kabuli Chana) fritters is served with cucumber- yogurt sauce (tzatziki sauce) and Hummus.
I also like to add some nutri nugget granules ( dried soya bean granules) to add flavor and texture to the falafels. They come out lovely and moist on the inside, with a slightly crunchy exterior.
I usually pan fry the falafels in olive oil, but you may also deep fry or air fry them as per your own personal taste.
When it comes to hummus, while you can buy it in most supermarkets these days, it’s also very easy to make your own.
My homemade hummus recipe is high on taste and easy to make. It’s amazing how a few simple ingredients as humble as chickpeas, tahini (sesame seed paste), garlic, lemon juice and salt can be transformed into such a smooth, creamy and positively irresistible mixture.
Soaking Time for chick peas : 4-5 hrs
Preparation Time: 25 mins
Cooking Time: 25 mins
Total Time: 5 hours 50 minutes
Ingredients for Falafel
- 400 gms White Chick peas (kabuli chana ) Soaked , boiled and drained.
- 50 gms Nutri Nugget Granules ( Soya bean Granules soaked in warm water for ½ hour and drained)
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic.
- 1/4 cup chopped onions.
- 1 tsp green chilli.
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves.
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera) powder.
- Salt to taste.
- Olive oil for pan frying.
- Drain the boiled chickpeas (Reserve the water).
- Drain the soya granules.
- In a food processor, pulse the onion, garlic, cumin , coriander, green chilli, chickpeas, soya granules ,salt coarsely.
- In case the mixture is wet add some bread crumbs slowly, stirring all the time. Increase or decrease the breadcrumbs to make sure that the entire mixture is somewhat dense and will make patties easily.
- Make round flat patties.
- Shallow fry in a non stick pan.
- Keep aside.
- 1 cup hung curd (Pour curd /yogurt in a muslin cloth and tie tightly in a bundle.Hang the bundle for about 2 hours for the whey to drain out. Use the cream as base for the tzatziki).
- 1/4 cup finely grated cucumber.
- 1/2 tsp Chopped garlic.
- Salt to taste.
- 2-3 tsp Olive oil to drizzle.
Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate.
- 1 cup boiled Chickpeas.
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice.
- 1-2 Garlic Cloves, crushed.
- 1 tbsp Tahini**
- 2-3 tbsp water (use the same water in which you have boiled the chickpeas).
- 2 tbsp Virgin Olive Oil.
- 1 tsp Paprika.
- Salt to taste.
- Drain the chickpeas and rinse.
- Combine the chickpeas, lemon juice, garlic, salt, tahini, and water in a food processor, and whiz to a creamy purée.
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
Tahini is a paste made from ground sesame seeds. It is a major ingredient in hummus.
- 1 cup Sesame Seeds.
- 3-4 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil/Vegetable Oil.
- Dry roast the sesame seeds in a pan, shaking frequently, until fragrant, 3-4 minutes. Make sure that you do not brown.
- Cool the sesame seeds and put them a blender or food processor.
- Add the olive oil and process to a smooth paste.
- Add more oil if necessary, to bring the paste to a thick pouring consistency.
- Can be stored in a tightly covered jar in the refrigerator for several months.
- Pita bread.
- Sliced tomato halves.
- Shredded lettuce.
- Sliced onions.
To Assemble Pita Pockets
Take pita bread and cut it into half.
Apply 1 tablespoon of Tzatziki Sauce and hummus inside the cavity of pita bread
Place two falafels in the pockets.
Add some lettuce ,sliced tomatoes and onion soaked in vinegar.