This is yet another one of the easiest fish recipes coming from my kitchen. If you have been following my blog, by now you would have noticed that I like preparing dishes that do not take too much time on the stove.
But hey I never compromise on taste!
With the result that it vanishes from the plate even before it hits the table.
This pan fried fish (you may use a thick bottomed iron griddle too) is a delicious appetizer. It has a semblance to the famous Amritsari Fish Fry.
I have used Singhara here but you can make it with either Pomfret, Cod or haddock .
If you are using pomfret make sure you slit the side of the whole fish and spread some paste inside the fish as well as over. Leave it to rest for a minimum of 30 mins before you fry it
You may alternatively slice the entire pomfret fish into 1 ½ inch thick horizontal slices
Preparation Time : 10 mins
Marination Time : 30 mins
Cooking Tim: 12 to 15 mins
Serves : 2 to 3
Fish – 500 gms (I used catfish or Singhara cut into 2 inch pieces )
Any Oil – 4 to 5 tblsp.
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tblsp.
- Kashmiri Chilli Powder / Fish tikka masala – 2 tblsp.
- Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp.
- Coriander Powder – 1.5 tblsp.
- Ginger Paste – 1 tblspn.
- Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp.
- Gram flour powder 2 tblsp.
- Coriander Leaves – 2 tblspn finely chopped.
- Lemon Juice – 1 tblspn.
- Water 2-3 tblsp (to combine the spices and make a thick paste )
- Salt to taste
- Clean fish pieces.
- Mix all the ingredients for marination, add very little water and make it into a thick paste.
- Apply the spice paste all over the fish.
- Leave this to marinate for 30 mins.
- Heat oil in a pan or griddle.
- Fry fish evenly on both sides.
- Remove excess oil by blotting it.
- Garnished with coriander leaves and squeeze the juice of half a lemon over the fish.
- Serve immediately with onion rings and mint chutney on the side.